I put down a deposit on a new ...

Biria EZ Boarding Superlight 8 bicycle this afternoon at Bay Area Bikes in Oakland just down the street from work.

Obligatory picture:
Biria EZ Boarding Superlight 8

Given the choice, I would rather support a Local Bike Shop (LBS) than not.

I was assisted by the general manager, David Serna, in choosing an appropriate bicycle.

I took a couple of test rides around the block on a Breezer Uptown 8 with 'diamond frame' that I've been researching on the web for the past couple of weeks.
It was OKish, it just didn't have anything that was 'special' to me.
My nickname for the 'Breezer Bike' is 'Geezer Bike'.

I mentioned to David some very-positive email exchanges that I recently had with Tony ??? of Biria USA regarding the Shimano-Nexus hub used by Biria on some of their bikes (including the EZ Boarding Superlight 8).
David said that Bay Area Bikes used to be dealers for the Biria bicycles and that he would get one for me to try if I wanted.
At present, the closest Biria dealers are in Salinas (99.8 miles away from Oakland per Google Maps).
David called Tony and placed an order for the bike I mentioned above. It should arrive by Thursday of next week.

I am extremely impressed so far with the service I have received from Bay Area Bikes and the instantaneous answers to my emailed questions from Tony at Biria.

Late update: Tony at Biria said the following in an email this evening:
... We are happy you've had a positive experience with us so far and we hope to be able to continue this service far beyond your purchase. Your bicycle will be shipped out tomorrow. Just be prepared to be stopped by strangers who see your bike on the streets. The EB, especially the white one you ordered, is very unique and it turns a lot of heads. But most importantly, it's a very comfortable bike and I hope you will enjoy the ride.

Comments

Popular Posts