I've been obsessing since Thanksgiving over ...

the "California Cuties" brand of Clementine Mandarins distributed by Paramount Citrus.



I found this snippet from the Paramount Citrus web site interesting:
Over the past years Paramount Citrus has tested state-of-the-art, non-destructive, high speed optical technologies to test the sweetness quality of oranges. The newest model (installed in 2005) is capable of measuring brix and acid components of every piece of fruit run through the machine, at a rate of 10 oranges every second per lane. Using Near Infrared (NIR) light waves that bounce off of the fruit and the cameras use the reflected waves to calculate the fruit sweetness components.

It reminds me of the pioneering work my father did in ?1975? for Johnson Farm Machinery (now known as Johnson Manufacturing) on the electronic tomato sorter for their Tomato Harvesters.



In 1975, JFM developed and patented the electronic tomato sorter; and in the following year manufactured 140 electronic tomato harvesters.

I wonder if patent #4131540 was his invention?

By the way, Cesar Chavez called the tomato harvester 'los monstruos', the monsters.

I remember Cesar and the United Farm Workers picketing the fields where my father was testing the electronic sorter on a tomato harvester.

Yep, my father, union buster.

Comments

Popular Posts