More of the same, but ...

different in good ways.

I returned today to Reeves Canyon Road to resume the walk where I stopped yesterday, at the ford across Mill Creek. The difference today was that I drove across the creek and parked on the other side and started my walk from there. The first couple of miles were the usual oak grasslands in the sun, but then things got darker and much colder - probably less than 40F - which I definitely felt in the shorts and t-shirt I wore today. And then I started seeing second (or maybe third) growth Redwoods - the largest had trunks with a diameter of six or seven feet. The quantity of Redwoods increased dramatically as I continued walking up (always up). Some of the trunks of the previously cut Redwoods had trunks with a diameter of twelve or fifteen feet. I walked a total of seven or eight miles today. I would of walked farther except my feet were really hurting me and I was getting really cold. All of the travel thru the Redwoods was in really damp, cold, deep shade.

Really. I must really like the word really as I used it thrice in the previous two sentences.

Again today I accidentally left the "worst walking stick ever" behind. Before I went for my walk today I cut off the curviest bits and peeled off the rest of the slimy bark. I picked up a substitute walking stick at the half way point of my hike. This one is a branch from a Redwood, but was equally curvy, wet and slimy. It's only advantage is the weight - it probably weighs less than a pound. The lightweight-edness of this stick disqualifies it as a contender for "worst walking stick ever".

Stats:
1 - trophy vineyard
1 - trophy three hole golf course
1 - trophy disc golf course
1 - really annoying vicious barking trophy dog
~50 - no trespassing signs
2 - vulture houses
1 - trophy gate
2 - Salamanders. Both were dark brown/black on the top, and bright orange on the bottom.
1 - pair of sunglasses lost in a creek while watching a Salamander

I rate today's walk as 2.5% of the Green Valley Trail

Comments

Popular Posts