More walking/hiking, more swimming and more ...

soreness! But less sore than after my walk/hike/swim last Friday.

Today I walked up (always up) Reeves Canyon Road which is at the north end of Redwood Valley starting at hwy 101/20.

I walked up (always up) about two miles before I reached an impass. I was not deterred by the hundreds and hundreds of no trespassing signs lining the fences on both sides of the road. I was not deterred by the flourishing Poison Oak. I was not deterred by the massive stone gate thing across the road at about the mile and a half point. I was not deterred by the idiotically barking dog. I stopped where the road forded Mills Creek. It was less than a foot deep and thirty or forty feet across, lined with sharp looking rocks ... and COLD. It was a bit higher than usual due to the overnight rains. I could have taken of my shoes and socks, rolled up my jeans and waded across the creek ... but I chose sanity instead and stayed dry and warm.

I walked back towards the car along the road but got tired of the non Green Valley Trailness of it all and took off cross country thru the cow pastures - uphill of course. Steeply uphill along a seasonal creek that was mostly obliterated by the cows. I tried to avoid the ever present cow leftovers and ankle twisting cow hoof holes. I wasn't able to hike all the way to the top of the ridge because of the ever present vulture houses.

Stats:
2 - trophy vineyards (but it looks like there are more above the ford)
1 - trophy olive orchard
3 - trophy humongous stone and wrought iron gates, one across the public road
~250 - no trespassing signs, all but a couple were custom made for the trophy-esque
1 - idiotically barking trophy dog
1 - unused trophy covered bridge to nowhere

After the walk & hike I swam for and hour an a half at the gym in Ukiah.

Late edit: I may be less sore because I forgot to use the "worst walking stick ever". I brought it with me, but I accidentally left it behind where I parked. As an added bonus my hands are not covered with dirt encrusted sticky sap splotches.

Late-late edit: I rate the difficulty of today's walk/hike as three percent of the Green Valley Trail.

Comments

Popular Posts